Paleo

Paleo

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Low Cal and Easy

It doesn't get much better than that!
As I have mentioned recently, I have been killer busy! So easy and quick meals, and crockpot meals are a huge favorite of mine right now. And meals that are healthy, and low in calories PLUS being easy....that just takes the cake.

As a side note here: I *finally* got over my weight loss plateau, and dropped 3 lbs. last week. So I am feeling super motiviated, and actually smiling through my workouts at the moment (trust me, if you know me, or know anything about me, you know that this is practically a miracle, because I detest working out)! I am happily eating very healthy meals and snacks, and am just feeling on top of the world!
Now....if I can stay in the weight loss groove, and not plateau so badly again, maybe I'll throw a party ;-)

Speaking of parties...now that it has stopped snowing (this week at least), I am getting back into my Spring-y mood, and looking forward to warm weather. To me, that means weekend cookouts on somebody's porch, sitting out late in the evenings with Hubby and savoring the quiet mild nights, and cocktails! Yes, slushy, icy, sweet, tangy, umbrella toting cocktails! Cocktails being passed around a chic dinner party, or poured out of the big plastic pitcher at a backyard barbeque. I'm good with them in any form!
The only downside to cocktails, is that they generally have a whole bunch of calories, hidden inside the tastiness. That thought is incredibly depressing, if you're like me and love your summer drinks. But, if you are smart, and creative, you can make some very tasty cocktails, and cut out a good many calories. Win-win situation there! Again...low cal, and easy...that's the way to go!
I am putting a few skinny cocktail recipes in the Archive, so that you (and I) can go back as the weather continues to get warmer, and mix some up as needed.
Also, if you're not familiar with SkinnyGirl Cocktails...familiarize yourself immediately!! Not only is there a great selection of ready-to-serve cocktails available, but also skinny vodkas, and now wine options! I can only hope that the line continues to expand, so other liquors may become available. They are also very reasonably priced, and found at every liquor store I have visited recently (which isn't a ton...the word "lush" does not apply here, lol...don't judge me).
If you prefer to have cocktail mixes on hand (that you can leave virgin, or mix with your choice of alcohol), Skinny Mixes are the way to go! Again, super reasonably priced, and I have even seen them at places like Bed, Bath, and Beyond...so you wont have to search long to find one you like!
If you are like me, sometimes a nice glass of wine with (or after) dinner is all that is needed. And a glass of wine would go very nicely with the meal I have documented below! Some good "skinny" wines I have found are The Skinny Vine brand (http://www.theskinnyvine.com/wines.html), again, the Skinny Girl brand (www.skinnygirlcocktails.com/Wine), and many other brands that you can find at your local liquor store.
Now remember, these are *reduced calorie (sugar, fat, etc.)* options, not zero calorie options. So please drink, and calorie count, responsibly. Do not drink (or text, or call, or smack your kids) and drive. :-D

Onto tonight's meal!
I realized the other day, that it had been a few days since I made anything involving chicken (we've been very veggie friendy lately). And my Hubby has been whining (albeit quietly) about the lack of meat. So I decided a chicken dish was in order. Even better, I decided a simple, Italian, chicken dish was in order! Introducing: Chicken Piccata!
It is one of those dishes where you look at the finished product and think, "That looks so nice! It must be complicated." FALSE! Pretty dishes do not always require hours of labor chained to the stove (and there was much rejoicing)! Plus, the title of this post is Low Cal and EASY....easy is the key word. Normally this chicken is breaded, but i have simply removed that step. And this is really tasty too; great on its own or served over greens, you could also serve it over pasta or rice, if you're not doing Paleo. Although, I have heard a rumor of "alternative" pastas, that are made with things like sweet potatoes, or carrots! I have to do some research and see if they are in fact Paleo friendly...I will keep you updated.
Also, please do not let capers scare you! I admit, they are weird looking, and they're not something I would eat by the spoonful...but paired with the right items for cooking, they add a really unique and wonderful flavor.

Chicken Piccata

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded thin
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 lemon, juice
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons capers
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped


Directions:Heat the oil and butter in a pan over medium heat.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side and set aside.
Add the garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the wine to the pan and deglaze it (that means scraping all the crusted bits off the bottom of the pan).
Add the broth, lemon juice, honey and capers in the pan and simmer until the liquids have reduce by half, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the butter, season with salt and pepper, mix in the parsley, return chicken to pan and toss to coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment