Paleo

Paleo

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Alpha and Omega

As in Omega 3's! Haha...At least *I* appreciate my own cheesiness.
And I have to laugh, or else I would cry; because it is snowing. Again. In April. Dammit. Move on Mother Nature! We are more than ready for some 70 degree temps and capris!

Despite this relapse in weather, I am moving ahead with "Springier" dishes. Light and bright, something that makes you think of sitting on your porch, watching hummingbirds flit by, while sipping a fresh squeezed lemonade....Yeah....just like that!

Tying that into Omega 3...my beloved chiropractor feels I need more of it. He is beloved, because as much as he sometimes puts me through, I can feel the benefit throughout my body. That is, until I started working out 6 days a week. Then my body pimp slapped me with a big WTF. My occasionally dislocating rib is dislocating more often, I need an hour massage 3 days a week, and I had serious concerns about shin splints. BC (Beloved Chiropractor, keep up!) assures me that these are all easily remedied, and I do not have Shin Splints. One remedy he recommends is more Omega 3 fatty acids. So...I upped the dose of fish oil I take nightly, and I am making a conscious effort to eat more fish (and avocados, and nuts, and small amounts of other things with "good fat" in them...although if you ask me at this point ((cus I gained a pound)) fat is the Debil! ~Waterboy anyone?).
Holy moly...just disregard the abhorrent grammar and punctuation in this post.

Now...cooking fish is tricky for many people, myself included actually. And it can get boring, and weird. While I am searching for yummy, easy, not-weird fish recipes, I can fall back on that always tasty staple of tuna salad. I love tuna salad. I love to eat it on sandwiches, on crackers, or on veggies. BUT...it is one of those things that can get old fast. So today I am jazzing it up! This tuna salad takes me away from 20 degree weather, far into the middle east. I made Curry Tuna Salad. Over Paprika cucumbers. Light, refreshing, but full of good vitamins and flavor!!

Curry Tuna Salad
Ingredients:
2- 5 oz. cans Tuna in water (NOT OIL!)
1/2 C. Hummus (you can play with flavored hummus if you like, I make my own plain)
Curry Powder

2 medium cucumbers, half peeled and sliced into discs
2 tsp. lemon juice
black pepper
ground paprika

Directions:
In medium sized bowl, mix tuna, hummus and curry powder to your taste.
Lay cucumber slices in the bottom of a bowl or plate. Sprinkle with lemon juice, pepper, and paprika.
Spoon some tuna salad over cucumbers.
You can make a pretty lemon garnish if you'd like.
Serve chilled.

This is what a "half peeled" cucumber looks like. They look very attractive sliced, and the peel has lots of good-for-you vitamins.







No comments:

Post a Comment