Paleo

Paleo

Monday, April 15, 2013

Experimental Weekends

So this weekend I made dishes that I had never tried before. I like to experiment and try new things, and I like to see what non-Paleo meals I can convert. Mostly my dinners were very successful...except Sunday. Sunday was a dismal failure...we'll talk about that shortly. Haha.

Friday was a pretty nice day here in Colorado, and I am SO longing for Spring weather, and flowers, and meals! So I made this wonderful spinach salad (I did mention my love for large salads?). Hubby wasn't as thrilled as I was, because the salad had no meat in it; but he ate it (because he loves me that much ;-)  ), and was soon converted, because it was fantastic! I was trying to think of meals that involved what was already in my fridge; I had a very large bag of lovely fresh spinach, a dozen hard boiled eggs from Easter (that I am still in the process of eliminating), and a handful of large mushrooms. So....that all makes a good salad! Then I had to make up a dressing, something that wasn't boring and typical. Here's what I did:

Spinach Salad:
For Dressing:
1/2 small white or red onion
3 Tbsp. Paleo Ketchup (in Archive)
1 Tbsp. Worchestershire Sauce
1/8 C. white vinegar
1/4 C. Truvia
1/2 C. canola oil

Directions:
Place all ingredients, except oil in a food processor, and blend well. Switch to a slow blend speed and slowly add oil until well incorporated. Refrigerate as long as possible before using.

For Salad:
1 large bag fresh spinach, washed well
2 hard boiled eggs
Several large mushrooms, sliced
4-5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 container radish sprouts (these are the best for this recipe!! A little added zip)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients, except eggs, in large bowl. Toss with dressing. Plate salad, slice eggs and lay on top. I added walnuts to my salad (although Hubby doesn't like them), because I think they're super tasty!
Nom it up!



Saturday was another crockpot day...and another Pinterest recipe! Two great loves in my life ;-) We were quite busy Saturday, especially since it was a beautiful day! I had an appointment to get my hair done, and Pixie had an appointment with the park; so the crockpot was the obvious choice. I had some chicken still thawed from Piccata the other night, so I decided to use that up while trying a recipe that caught my eye on Pinterest. Bourbon Chicken. I immediately think of this Cajun place I have eaten at, that has bourbon chicken that melts in
your mouth; and is probably hell on a diet! So...I decided to make it as healthy as possible. I ate just chicken, but Hubby had his with rice.

Here is my version:

Crockpot Bourbon Chicken
Ingredients:
2 lbs boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 Tbsp tapioca flour
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
1 garlic clove crushed
1/4 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup light apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Paleo ketchup or chili sauce (depending on how hot you like stuff)
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos


Directions:Whisk all ingredients into crockpot and add chicken. Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours



Now....to discuss my dismal failure. I don't often fail at recipes I try, so when I do, it is an especially disappointing moment. And I gripe about it, for days.
I have mentioned before that I love Italian food, particularly the kind that involves crust (pizza, stromboli, calzones). I have often made Paleo pizza, and that has all turned out well. I decided to try a stromboli this weekend. I have a Paleo dough that makes a wonderful bread, and the consistency seemed conducive to being able to roll it out....that was not the case. It rolls out wonderfully, but it did not work well when trying to roll the stromboli back up into a spiral (Note for next time: maybe rolling it out on parchment or wax paper, then using that to assist in the re-rolling). It was slightly too sticky, or too ting...or something. So....we had a hot Italian mess for dinner :-D
I am still posting the recipe, and pictures. If anyone comes up with any improvements before I do, please feel free to share! I will definitely be practising this more!! I must have perfection! Haha.

Paleo Garlic Bread Dough
Ingredients:
1/2 C. EVOO
1/2 C. water
2 tsp. sea salt
3/4 C. tapioca flour
1/4 C. coconut flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Directions:
In a small pan combine the olive oil, water and sea salt and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and add in the garlic and then the tapioca flour.
Mix thoroughly and let rest for 5 minutes (this will become very sticky very fast!! Do not let it sit before mixing).
Turn into mixing bowl.
Add in the in Italian seasoning and egg.
Mix in the coconut flour and then knead the dough for 1 minute, until it feels and looks like a more solid piece.
Baking options:
~Pinch a 1″ piece of dough and roll it into a ball.
Place the roll on a greased baking sheet. Repeat.
Bake at 350 for 35 – 40 minutes
~Form dough into a loaf shape, and place on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 375 35-45 minutes

Stromboli:
Ingredients:
1 serving of Paleo bread dough
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/6 C. olive oil
3 Tbsp. tomato sauce
1/2 tsp each garlic powder, salt and pepper
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp dried oregano

1 lb extra lean ground beef, cooked and drained (season with salt, pepper and some basil)
2 oz. sliced pepperoni
1 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped or thinly sliced

Directions:
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle.
In a small bowl, combine the eggs, oil, tomato sauce and seasonings. Brush over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges; set remaining egg mixture aside. Layer beef, pepperoni, cheeses and onion on dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, beginning with a long side. Seal the edges well.
Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting.


Here is what I was shooting for:

 









Here is what I got!
Don't laugh too hard now....

No comments:

Post a Comment