Paleo

Paleo

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Avocados-The Fruit of the Gods

No, seriously....they're heavenly! Avocados are one of the best foods on this planet...probably on any others too. One of my favorite ways to eat avocados is just slicing them up, drizzling a little lemon juice on & sprinkling with salt and pepper. I have always loved them with tomatoes and cream cheese on a whole wheat bagel, as a topping to some cottage cheese, or (duh) as mashed up guacamole! Im pretty sure theres no way to prepare an avocado that I wouldn't like. Well....we're gonna find out! Over the next few weeks I have several meals planned that feature avocados primarily.

Tonight I am making more of a breakfast-y dish, because we all know that breakfast for dinner is one of my favorites. My Sprouts market here had ginormous avocados on sale this past weekend, 2 for $3, and they worked perfectly for this!

Note that Pixie also quite enjoys avocados. She's food bipolar (one day she can't get enough, the next she hates that same food)...but I am told that is a normal toddler thing...so I keep on keepin on. She got the scooped out parts of ours tonight, ate it with a spoon, and -thankfully- a large bib on.

Baked Egg Avocados
Ingredients:
1-2 large, ripe avocados
2-4 large raw eggs
Bacon! Cooked and crumbled (use as much bacon as you feel you require, probably NOT the whole package, as I had to explain to Hubby)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Cut avocados in half and remove pits. Scoop out a little of the flesh to leave a crater.
Crack one egg into each avocado half, and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle bacon over the top.
Place on a baking sheet with a lip, and bake 20 minutes, until eggs are set.

You could top with some shredded cheddar cheese, or sprinkle with some hot sauce before eating as well.

If you wanted to save some fat and calories, you could use turkey bacon...but I feel that is blasphemy, and I want my full fat pork!







2 comments:

  1. what a great idea!!! my husband's mouth is watering right now... I guess I know what we will be making soon!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! My hubby was very excited as well. Although, we both decided we're not the biggest fans of warm avocado. Next time I do these I might assemble everything separately; cook the bacon and poach the eggs. Then just slide those into cool avocados instead. If you try it that alternate way, let me know how it goes!

      Delete