Paleo

Paleo

Monday, April 8, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner

So I have determined that I cannot post to this blog on weekends. I just get too dang busy, and run out of time! I still cook on weekends though, so on Mondays I'll have a massive post, as I catch up on weekend stuff, and post Monday's meal(s) as well! This is one thing you can all look forward to on Mondays (because I know each and every one of you just lives to read my blog)!
So...this weekend was grocery weekend, which means it was "prep" weekend as well! Naturally I blended up a dozen or so smoothies to freeze, put "baggie" meals together, made some more tortillas, and researched new recipes (I already have the next 2 weeks of meals planned out, but I always enjoy looking at new recipes, and getting new ideas; since I have a new menu every 2 weeks).
Saturday we gave into temptation and stopped by the BBQ truck. I'm sure that sounds odd, but it is so fantastic I can't explain. Its run by this retired football player, and he has a food truck, and one of the biggest smokers I've ever seen; simply driving by his lot on the weekends fills your vehicle with the smell of barbecue. AND (this is the best part), if you know how to play it, he does a sugar free, gluten free barbecue sauce. So we loaded up on some ribs and brisket Saturday afternoon, and you can bet I didn't cook dinner that night, haha. Pixie wanted to just dip her fingers in the sauce and suck it off, so we had to give her some sweet potato fries to dip with.
Yesterday was another crockpot day! Not necessarily for simplicity's sake, but because that is how I prefer to cook my corned beef. I was surprised by how many people find that method odd. I have learned that most people (who I speak with at least) use a pressure cooker, or boiling, or roasting the beef. I simply always remember my father using the crockpot, so I always have as well. It is easy, and makes one of the most tender, flavorful corned beefs ever. Ever.
I know we just had St. Patrick's Day, so eating corned beef again may not appeal to some, but, we are an Irish family, and we like to partake in corned beef a few times a year. We did not have much corned beef left over after St. Paddy's this year, and so we didn't get to indulge in leftover dishes that we love; like corned beef sandwiches, or corned beef hash. And I luuurrrvveee me some corned beef hash! So, I made a whole corned beef, just so we could have hash; bonus for Hubby, is that there was enough left that he can do sandwiches also.
I used the Jicama Home Fries (in the Archive, remember the 24 hour prep), in place of potatoes, and they worked very well! Quite tasty. I also like my hash pretty simple; beef, onions, and home fries. Topped with an egg and some hot sauce! You can go nuts with this if you'd like though. Add some squash, broccoli, cauliflower...whatever veggies you like!

Corned Beef
Ingredients:
1 corned beef, whatever size and cut you prefer, with the pickling spices
2 bottles of Irish beer (Guinness or Smithwick's is a good choice)
Enough water to cover beef

Garlic powder
Onion powder
Salt
Pepper
Ground cayenne
Spray oil

Directions:
Thaw corned beef fully.
Remove beef from packaging, setting aside the packet of pickling spices. Rinse under luke-warm water, until all sludgy, fatty, bloody gunk is removed.
Heat a large skillet over high heat, spray lightly with oil.
Season one side of the beef with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
Place seasoned side down in hot pan, searing the beef for about 2 minutes.
While searing the seasoned side, season other side of beef with garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne to taste. Flip to sear this other side for 2 minutes as well.
Place beef in the bowl of your crockpot and add enough water to cover.
Add pickling spices and both full bottles of beer (if you want to be very, very good, they DO make gluten free beers!).
Turn crockpot on high, and cook beef 8 hours.
This method creates an incredibly tender beef! Handle the beef very delicately, it may fall apart!
Serve traditionally with cabbage and boiled potatoes. Or make into hash. Or cool slightly and slice for sandwiches. Just enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment