Paleo

Paleo

Thursday, April 4, 2013

I Gotta Have More Crockpot!

...And I say that in my very best Christopher Walken voice (SNL anyone)!
Really though, I've been super busy, and the crockpot is not only saving my life right now, but most likely my marriage and mother/daughter relationship as well. Haha!
So...who loves breakfast? I do, I do! I think breakfast is my favorite meal. Closely followed by Tapas, or Antipasti, or Hors D'oeuvres, or whatever fancy word you want to use for Appetizers! And yes, I do realize that those are not technically a meal...but I make it so! Anywho, back to breakfast...Breakfast for dinner is something that my family did regularly, although not super often. Every month or so, we'd have bacon and eggs, or crepes, or egg sandwiches for dinner. Just because we could. Therefore, in my adult life, I have continued to occasionally make breakfast for dinner. My husband doesn't mind in the least, and every now and then I stumble across something Pixie will also eat (which, as we all know, is the highlight of my year).
I am not a Paleo expert by any means; I'm probably not even close. I am just really getting into the swing of this lifestyle, and so I look to various resources for help and support. I buy magazines, cookbooks, and I view other blogs. One of my very favorite ones to read is from a fellow Coloradoan at PaleoOMG. She's just flat out hilarious; I think if we actually knew one another our personalities would reflect very well, haha! So...I'm tooting her horn today, because this recipe is hers! You can find this recipe (and her many other fabulous ones) at www.paleomg.com .
Again, super easy and quick in the crockpot. Prep it the night before (or 3 days, or a week before, whatever), and store it in a ziploc bag that you can dump straight into the crockpot when ready. I put everything in my baggie except the eggs and sausage. This morning I greased my crockpot with coconut oil to prevent sticking, then I chopped up the sausage in the crockpot bowl, added the veggies and mixed that around good, then I added in the eggs. I used pork breakfast-style sausage, and tossed in a little leftover chicken hot italian sausage that I didn't use in my Bolognese the other night. Mix it up with the veggies in this meal! The more veggies the better...veggies are great! I used some bell pepper, chopped green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and edamame (I've been loving the edamame recently, even though it is not strictly Paleo). I wish I'd had some zucchini or yellow squash on hand, that would've been tasty!
I also chose to sprinkle a little CoJack cheese on top, and dash some hotsauce on it too. You know how I like the spice.

Easy Crockpot Breakfast Pie
Compliments of PaleOMG

"Ingredients:
8 eggs, whisked
1 sweet potato or yam, shredded
1 lb. pork sausage, broken up
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried basil
salt and pepper, to taste
any extra veggies you want to put in there: peppers, squash, etc.


Directions:
I greased my crockpot with a bit of coconut oil to make sure none of the egg stuck to it.
Shred your sweet potato. I used the shredding attachment on my food processor to make it super quick, but you could use a grater as well.
Add all ingredients to your crockpot and use a spoon to mix well.
Set it and forget it!! I stole that tagline. I’m gonna get sued. Eeeek.
Place on low for 6-8 hours. I cooked it for more than 7 to make sure the pork sausage was completely cooked through.
Slice it like a pie. Because I said so."








2 comments:

  1. OMG great minds think alike!!! I totally made this, only somewhat un-paleo, for easter morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know, great minds and all... ;-)
    And the crockpots are totally amazing! Whhoever doesn't use one is nuts. :-D

    ReplyDelete