Paleo

Paleo

Saturday, March 23, 2013

More Snowy Days

I am highly disappointed in our local weather, again. I once again have several inches of snow outside my house. I am very much beyond over it. Sadly, I had to go out into the Siberian waste this morning, as we were all out of food. Thankfully Hubby kept Pixie home to play, so I breezed through and was back home within 90 minutes.
I then proceeded to blend up a dozen smoothies to freeze, these make a perfect to-go breakfast. I use some coconut milk, and whatever kind of fruit I am in the mood for. Today we had frozen peaches, cherries, strawberries, pineapple, and fresh oranges and bananas. I also whipped up another batch of tortillas, and chopped some broccoli into florets for freezing.
Tonight for dinner I made one of Hubby's absolute favorite meals; Scotch Eggs. These are solid protein, and super simple. I was able to find sausage with 1/3 less fat today, so I was pretty happy about that. These are actually an Irish dish, and are perfect made with Bangers, which I squeeze out of the casings so I have ground sausage. Tonight, however, I used hot ground Italian sausage; because Hubby requested it. This is even quicker to prepare if you always have hard boiled eggs on hand like I do.
Usually you will find these deep fried, but I'm not a big fan of that method, so we're using a different one. This is one of the few egg dishes that also reheats well.

Scotch Eggs
Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled
16 oz. ground sausage of choice (or sausage removed from casings)

Directions:
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Pack 4 oz. sausage firmly around each egg, leaving no gaps. These will be ball shaped.
Place in an oven proof skillet and place this in the oven. Cook 40-45 minutes, until sausage is cooked through; shaking pan occasionally to rotate balls to cook all sides.
Using a sharp knife, slice balls in half, and serve warm!

If you want a fun variation, after slicing eggs in half, remove yolks and devil them, then return to halved balls. Deviled Scotch Eggs!

I personally do not think these need any seasonings or additional flavor but....
You could:
Serve with Heinz 57 sauce for dipping
Wrap in fresh basil leaves before placing in skillet in the oven. Remove leaves before slicing and eating.
If using Banger sausage, serve with a grainy mustard (we love a Guinness one from Ireland) for dipping.
Try the deep fry method.
Make it a special breakfast, drizzle just a very little maple syrup over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment