Paleo

Paleo

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Classic Family Favorites

Been absent a couple days. We had a pretty jam packed weekend, complete with 6 inches of snow and two soccer games. I did cook over the weekend, but nothing very exciting, so I haven't shared :-) It was also daylight savings time this weekend, which always makes me go "ugh"
That being said, I wanted something super quick and easy tonight. One of my favorite, easy meals, has always been Egg Salad. And oddly, I am not fond of eating it as a sandwich; I prefer to spoon it onto Triscuit crackers. Since neither of those is an option for me at this time, I went in another direction. We are having Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps! Also, I'm sure you know all about the standard egg salad: eggs, mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper....pickles and scallions if you're into that. I am kicking things up another notch by adding bacon and avocado. Think about it....you really can't go wrong with bacon and/or avocado! I picked up some fresh avocados today, as well as some nice long leaves of Romaine lettuce.
I boiled my eggs in advance, one: because I always like to have hard boiled eggs on hand for a snack or small meal; and two: it saves me that time tonight, because Im definitely after the quick/easy thing (partially because tonight I am bound and determined to finish the St. Patrick's Day tutu I am making for my Pixie).
Even if you boil your eggs just before building the salad, it is still a pretty darn quick meal!

Bacon Avocado Egg Salad, in Lettuce Wraps
Indgredients:
6 eggs
5 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
1 ripe avocado
2 tsp. wine vinegar
2 tsp. scallions or chives, chopped
2 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
Fresh ground black pepper
Several leaves of Romaine lettuce



Directions:
Fill a pot with cool, salted water. Gently slide eggs into pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover, remove from heat, and allow to sit 12-13 minutes. Pour out hot water and allow eggs to cool before refrigerating or peeling.
If you're in a rush, replace the hot water with cold water, and continue to do so until water is no longer heated by the eggs. Crack eggs gently all over, and peel beneath a cool stream of water for best results.
Mix bacon, yogurt, vinegar, and scallions in a bowl.
Add eggs and mash all ingredients together. Halve avocado and remove pit. While still in peel, gently dice the avocado. Scoop into bowl with egg mixture and gently combine.
Wash lettuce leaves thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels.
Spoon egg mixture into lettuce leaves, grind some fresh pepper over, and enjoy!






1 comment: