Paleo

Paleo

Saturday, March 2, 2013

I've Been Sooooo Looking Forward to This!

I don't have a favorite food. I just can't pick one thing that I like eating more than various other things. One of the many things that I get great enjoyment out of eating, is lasagna. Cheese, spicy meat, red sauce....cheese! I love every single bit of it! Obviously, pasta is a no go with Paleo, but many alternatives are available (as I have mentioned before).
In recent weeks I discussed a Paleasagna I enjoy making with my co-workers. I passed along the recipe to them, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about this spectacular dish since. I am super excited to announce, that I will be dining on Paleasagna this evening! I was also especially excited, as my mother agreed to join us for dinner; and i really enjoy spending time with her (and yes, showing off my cooking just a tad). It has been much anticipated, but I know it will not fall short; as I've said in the past, this is one of the best lasagnas I have ever had the pleasure to eat!

Paleasagna
Ingredients:
1 white onion, diced
1 1/2 pounds of extra lean ground turkey
1 1/2 pounds ground hot Italian sausage
1 15oz can diced tomatoes, drained
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp Italian spice blend
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pound of zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut into long, thin slices
1/2 cup raw goat cheese, shredded or cubed
2 cups Greek yogurt, drained if liquid has built along the top
1 head broccoli, roughly chopped
1 egg

Directions:
In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the diced onions. Sautee on medium-high until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the meat, diced tomato and tomato paste, spices, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. Continue to cook all ingredients until the meat is cooked through. Set aside when done.
In a medium bowl, combine raw goat cheese, Greek yogurt, broccoli pieces, and egg. Mix well.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease the bottom of a 13 x 9 Pyrex glass baking dish. Place a layer of zucchini and squash rounds evenly across the bottom, making a sort of liner.
Add a layer of turkey-tomato sauce on top of the zucchini. Top that with some of the broccoli and yogurt mixture. Continue with this layering process until you have used all of your ingredients.
Top the entire dish with more shredded goat cheese, if desired.
Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.


I top my lasagna with some Colby-Jack cheese, as well as any leftover goat cheese I have. And I also used a mandolin to slice my squash longways.
The goat cheese and yogurt combo does something magical, I'm not sure exactly what. It makes this lasagna super creamy and rich tasting. Without super creamy rich calories!
This lasagna would also be good with eggplant, instead of squash, but be aware it will change the flavor a good bit.
After your first bite, I expect to hear a general "mmmmmmm" sound!









1 comment:

  1. Oooh I love lasagna and love trying new variations. I really enjoy the idea of slicing zucchini longways to use instead of noodles. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete