Paleo

Paleo

Friday, March 8, 2013

Hole in the Wall Eateries

You know what I'm talking about. You've passed by it a gazillion times, before one day saying "Im gonna try that little Italian/Chinese/Mexican/etc. place!" Its about the size of a one car garage, looks like it was whitewashed in 1923, and has water stained ceiling tiles. But they make the best damn [insert food ethnicity here] that you've ever had in your entire life! And you tell every living soul you know to go eat there.
Well...I was dating this one guy this one time, and he lived downtown. Which meant I practically did as well  :-D And every day I drove past this little hole-in-the-wall Chinese place. I only ever saw the same little old Chinese lady inside. Of course, I had to try it! I walked in, there was no room for tables, strictly a takeout place; and the little Chinese lady beamed at me, toothlessly. I was having a hard time deciding which delicious entree to try, when she asked "What you like usual?" I smiled, and replied, "Everything!" So she says "You have Egg Foo Yung" and proceeded to dish it up. I had never had Egg Foo Yung before, and was slightly skeptical, but willing to be a good sport and try it. Oh my dear sweet heaven...it was extraordinary! Obviously I patronized that "restaurant" frequently for a long time; and everything I tried was marvelous! Sadly, they closed a few years ago (long after Nameless Boyfriend was shut down), and though I have tried numerous other Egg Foo Yungs, I have yet to find one that good.
So tonight...I am going to attempt my own, Paleo version. With any luck, I can recapture a fraction of that spectacular first experience.


Egg Foo Yung
Ingredients:
5 large eggs
3 oz. grilled chicken (light or dark), diced
2 C. steamed or sauteed cabbage, minced
4 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
2 tsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos
1 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. coconut oil
additional scallion tops for garnish

Directions:
Set oven to Warm.
In large bowl, beat eggs with whisk or fork, then add chicken, cabbage, scallions, aminos, five-spice powder, cayenne and sesame oil. Blend well.
Heat large skillet over med-hi heat. Add coconut oil and allow to melt. Pour 1/4 cup batter at a time into small circles. Cook 5 minutes, flip to other side, and cook 5 more minutes. Place in oven to keep warm while you cook remaining patties.
Serve with a dollop of secret sauce and remaining scallions.

Optional Secret Sauce:
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. Paleo mayo
1 tsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. rice vinegar
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper

Directions:
Place all ingredients in small bowl, and mix with fork until well blended.

You could make these prettier by using pancake rings in the pan, to hold the shape for the patties. I wasn't that picky tonight :-)
I would say that, while these were very good, and satisfying, they were not on the outstanding scale of those first ones I had....Yet



2 comments:

  1. Girl! How do you even come up with this stuff??? So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...with this, and books, I am certainly my father's daughter. I read about recipes, or someone talks about a dish, and I think "Well I could make that work for me!" Glad you liked it!

      Delete