Paleo

Paleo

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Hash it Out

We have discussed my love of breakfast. Most days I grab a smoothie, or some fruit on my way out the door; but on weekends I try to indulge a little and make something. Usually involving eggs, I love eggs for breakfast! Breakfast is also my favorite meal to eat out; I can get eggs Benedict, or french toast, or other things I wouldn't normally make at home. So breakfast for dinner is often a good option.
One of my favorite breakfasts has always been corned beef hash with fried eggs; the really well done ones with perfectly runny yolks that ooze all over the hash. My father had the talent of always getting his corned beef hash to crisp, and his egg yolks to run, I am still practising those...I'm seriously drooling right now.
Anyway...I have a recipe for corned beef hash in my archive here, but that's not what I am making tonight. No, I decided that hash could really be made out of any meat (or meat substitute products, I suppose, if you're into that sort of thing). I bet a southwestern chicken hash would be tasty, or a BBQ pork hash....but I digress (ha....I've always loved that term). Tonight I am making a beef and bacon hash. 
Hubby got all excited thinking I'd put a pot roast in the crockpot for tonight, and was very deflated when I told him that wasn't what the rump was for. Don't worry though, he perked right up again when I told him the final plan. Which, again, is beef and bacon hash. We're being good and Paleo tonight, mixing in some carrots, celery, garlic and zucchini (home garden grown!); as well as beef and bacon (duh). The bacon I'm using is also fresh. We got lucky at a local farmers market, and it hasn't been processed! I'm excited to try it. Obviously I also served mine with eggs on top, that I did manage to get runny (although not near as perfect as Dad's I'm afraid). 
This would make excellent breakfast leftovers just as I've served it here, or as a breakfast burrito, or on toast, or however else you like it really!

Beef and Bacon Hash
Ingredients:
6 C beef broth
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 (2 lb) rump roast
2 large carrots, peeled and halved

2 stalks celery, halved
3 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
2 C. Veggies of choice
1 large onion, peeled and medium diced, separated
4 slices bacon
2 eggs per person, for serving (optional)


Directions:
Add the beef broth to the crock pot (I say 6 cups, but really you want the crockpot to be full to the point of your ingredients being fully submerged), and then stir in the onion powder, celery salt, salt and pepper.
Add the roast, veggies, & 1/2 diced onion to the crock pot and set it to LOW. Allow the roast and vegetables to cook in the crock pot for 6 hours, or until tender.
Remove the cooked roast and vegetables from the crock pot and dice everything into bite-sized pieces. Combine the mixture with the remaining diced white onion.
Saute the bacon in a large skillet, reserving the drippings. Set the cooked bacon aside.
Add the hash mixture to the skillet containing the bacon grease and and fry the hash until crispy, about 10 minutes. Chop up the bacon and add it to the skillet, tossing to combine.
If desired, fry 2 eggs per person in a separate pan and serve the hash topped with the fried eggs.






Without eggs:
Cal: 2021    Fat: 115    Cholesterol: 480    Sodium: 3313    Carbs: 31.25    Fiber: 7.3    Sugar: 12    Protein: 191.7


If you ask Hubby, he'd say this is 2 servings, but he's skinny, and bottomless, so we'll disregard him in this case.
I say this is about 4-6 servings depending on how hungry you are! So for one (of 4) servings:
Cal: 505.25    Fat: 28.75    Chol: 120    Sodium: 828.25    Carbs: 7.8    Fiber: 1.8    Sugar: 3    Protein: 48


Don't forget to add the "cost" of eggs if you choose to include them. 
This can be high on the calories; but is great for the "heavy duty workout" days.



No comments:

Post a Comment