Paleo

Paleo

Thursday, August 1, 2013

It is Summer!

So why the bloody hell am I getting sick?!
Seriously...this year has been just terrible as far as illnesses. I have been sick more in the past 7 months, than in the past 4 years....its ridiculous! I think Pixie, and all her snotty nosed little friends at school are the culprits. They're cute kids, but dirty....kids are just little germ factories.
So....I have been sick for about 5 days now. I mean, curl up in the smallest ball physically possible, so you can hopefully avoid coughing up your lungs sick. Living off of soup, and crackers, and gatorade sick. Pixie started it, and is almost fully recovered; good news is that today I feel a bit more human myself. Drugs help...I've just discovered Mucinex, its delightful.
You have my apologies for not posting during that time, but what I did cook was simple; and I didn't feel like putting forth the effort (mostly because it requires being in an upright position) to put posts together. I am making up for that today.

Below you will find 2 recipes for things I made while I was sick.
Then tonight, I was looking for simplicity again, so I've done a simple frittata. I love to make these because a) they're super duper easy, b) you can toss whatever you want on there, and c) they're really pretty healthy!
I tossed some olives, tomato, onion and feta on mine. Hubby got beef and cheddar on his.


7/29
Chicken Alambre
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 ounces 1/3-inch-diced slab bacon
12 ounces fresh chorizo, (do not get the "loose" chorizo, it is much greasier)
12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
8 ounces Oaxaca cheese or mozzarella cheese, torn
 

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Remove chorizo from casings and crumble into pan, add the bacon and cook over high heat, stirring, until browned in spots, 5 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until cooked through. Add the peppers and onion and cook until softened. Scatter the cheese on top and stir until it just starts to melt, then serve.
Serve with tortillas, avocado, cilantro, salsa and lime wedges.





7/30 

Ratatouille Tart
Ingredients:

2 frozen pie crusts
1 1/2 medium zucchini (and/or yellow squash)
1 medium sweet potato
3 medium tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp onion powder
8 oz. cream cheese
3 large eggs
salt and pepper
1/2 C. shredded colby or cheddar cheese


Directions:

Pre-bake crusts empty according to package directions.
In the meantime, slice zucchini, sweet potato, and tomatoes into very thin slices (I used a mandolin). Drain tomatoes on paper towels as long as possible (you want to remove as much liquid as you can).
Saute zucchini and sweet potato in a skillet over medium heat, until just starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
Mix veggies, garlic, eggs and spices in a large bowl. Mix cream cheese in in pieces (I used a block of cream cheese and cut it into chunks).
Pour this into pie crusts and bake at 400 degrees 15 minutes.
Top with shredded cheddar cheese and return to oven an additional 20- 25 minutes.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment