Paleo

Paleo

Monday, July 22, 2013

Pizza Par-tay!

Another hecticly busy weekend...another few days where I didn't post anything; which is because I didn't have time to cook anything. PS...I'm aware that "hecticly" isn't a word, we're going with it anyway!
I also spent the bulk of today distracted by the live feed of St. Mary's Hospital in London, where Duchess Kate gave birth to a baby boy! I don't know why I'm so "into" the royal birth, but I am; we're going with that too.
So.....its a party night at my house! Don't get too excited now...what that means for us is yummy food, maybe some wine, and a movie on TV instead of DVR shows. Hahaha....super exciting right?! Ah, life with two full-time jobs and a toddler ;-)

Anywho...about that yummy food...Remember, that doesn't mean its not healthy! For whatever reason, I view pizza as a party food. Probably because it is finger friendly, tasty, and traditionally bad for you. Pizza and beer is one of my favorite football watching foods. Since pizza is, as I said, traditionally bad for you, I am always trying to find ways to make it healthier. Gluten-free crusts, cauliflower crusts, turkey pepperoni, etc. etc. Tonight I am trying something even a little more different....pizza casserole. Most of the recipes I came across use pasta as the base; but I didn't want anything that heavy this evening, and decided to sub cauliflower instead. I also used turkey pepperoni, and gluten-free chicken sausages. 

Meat-y Pizza Casserole
Ingredients:
2 lb. cauliflower florets
1 lb mild pork sausage (I used GF chicken Italian sausage)
1 large onion, medium size chopped
2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (or homemade)
1/2-1 lb of sliced turkey pepperoni
16oz shredded mozzarella cheese
6 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions:
Cook cauliflower in boiling water until slightly softened (don't cook it to mush!)
Cook sausage, garlic and oregano with onions until the juices run clear. (If using sausage in casings, remove from casings and crumble into pan).
In a lightly greased 9x13x3 inch pan, pour a small amount of sauce to lightly coat bottom.
Layer ingredients: 1/3 of the cauliflower, 1/3 remaining sauce, 3/4 C mozzarella cheese, 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, sausage and onions.
2nd layer-1/2 of the remaining cauliflower, 1/2 remaining sauce, 3/4 C mozzarella cheese, 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.
3rd layer-all remaining cauliflower, all remaining sauce, Remaining mozzarella cheese, 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, all the pepperoni (completely covering the entire top with pepperoni).
Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.
Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Total this was:
Cal: 1997    Fat: 83    Cholesterol: 471    Sodium: 9333    Carb: 122    Sugar: 50    Fiber: 45    Protein: 168

I ate about 1/8th of the casserole so:
Cal: 250    Fat: 10    Chol: 59    Sodium: 1166    Carb: 15.25    Sugar: 6.25    Fiber: 5.5    Protein: 21

Not bad for something that was creamy, tasty, and satisfying!








No comments:

Post a Comment