Paleo

Paleo

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Zen Meals

I am a big fan of Yoga, and Meditation. I generally combine the two. Used to be I could get away with just doing yoga a few days a week, and not have to bother with the treadmill, or circuit training. Now that I have realized I need to do more for myself, I do not get the opportunity to do yoga as much as I would like, and I miss it.
What I have started trying to work into my routine, is just a little light yoga a couple of nights before bed, and then a big yoga session on Saturday, while Pixie naps. 
For my light sessions I focus mostly on long, relaxing stretches, that relieve tension in the hips, back, neck and shoulders (which is where I carry it most, due to my work environment). I really concentrate on my breathing, making it as meditative as possible. I also play some music in the background; I alternate what exactly that is, but its always very very soothing. At the end, I stretch in Child's Pose for about 5 minutes, eyes closed, just breathing.
Then, on Saturdays, I have a full hour and a half, heavy yoga session, that gets my heart rate up. Then, for the last 30 minutes, I do my long stretches; and spend at least 15 minutes cross legged, eyes closed, breathing and keeping my mind a blank.
If you have not tried this, I highly recommend it, at least 2 days a week. And it can be for as little as 5 minutes, or as long as an hour (or more if you have that kind of time). It has really reduced the amount of stress I feel in my body, I sleep better, and I am more loving and open with my husband and child.

I have also found, that on nights when I do yoga, I feel more detached. Somewhat like floating a bit outside of my body, in a very soft, plushy, comfy environment. If that doesn't make sense, I'm sorry, but I can't figure out how else to describe it.
Therefore, the last thing I want to do is eat something really heavy (since I don't eat before working out, even light yoga....bad for the tummy). I generally prefer salads, light soups, or veggie only dishes.
Tonight I decided to mix it up my having some fish (really trying to work on eating more of this super-good-for-you food!!). Sadly, fish is getting up there with beef at the top of the price range :-( Such a disappointing development for one in a land-locked state. But, I splurged on a couple of halibut fillets for tonight, and even took it a step further by wrapping them in some prosciutto (a nice little crisp to it, some saltiness, mmhmmm).
I took some inspiration again from Kevin at Closet Cooking, and made a little asparagus puree (and kept some tips whole) to eat with it. Overall, very refreshing, high in good vitamins and fats, and satisfying.

Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut with Asparagus Puree
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp butter
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 leek (finely sliced)
1/2 lb asparagus (cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces, save a few tips)
1 C spinach
salt and pepper to taste
2 (6 oz) halibut fillets
salt and pepper to taste
4 thin slices prosciutto
1 Tbsp oil


Directions:
Melt the butter in a pan.
Add the leek and garlic and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
Meanwhile, simmer the asparagus in a small amount of water until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the Spinach to butter/leek mix and cook until wilted, about a minute.
Puree the leeks, asparagus and spinach in a food processor.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the sauce in a pan on low heat to keep warm, and add the reserved asparagus tips.
Season the halibut fillets with salt and pepper and wrap in the prosciutto.
Heat the oil in an ovenproof sskillet.
Add the fish and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Transfer skillet to preheated 450 degree oven, and bake until the fish has finished cooking, about 5-10 minutes
Put a little of the asparagus sauce on your plate, then top with the fish. Spoon additional sauce (consisting of as many asparagus tips as you can manage) over the top of the fish..




No comments:

Post a Comment