Paleo

Paleo

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I Missed You Guys!!

It has been 11 days since my last post. For those of you that keep up regularly, that is the longest I have ever gone in between, and it is highly unusual. I apologize if you've practically shriveled up and died from a lack of tasty recipes and witty repartee (right, cus you depend on me that much, ahahahah...hahahahaaa...ha).

Let me explain....I last posted Friday, June 7th, headed into a weekend of not-much-happening. So, of course, I planned to make a few meals, maybe clean house, go grocery shopping. Yeah....none of that happened. My beloved Pixie was Mistress Grumpy Pants starting Saturday morning, and if she wasn't in my arms, she had her arms wrapped around my legs. We decided getting out of the house was a good solution, and so did a little bit of shopping, played with sidewalk chalk, and tried not to aggravate her. Sunday was worse...Pixie loved getting to go out with Grandma and Auntie, but it could only distract her for so long. After nap, she was complaining that her head hurt, and had a low fever (about 100.5). Tylenol to the rescue and all seemed well. Corned Beef in the Crockpot was an easy solution for dinner.

Shame on me for thinking I could get off that easy....Things really snowballed downhill Monday, when my precious, sweet baby popped a fever of 104.6. Yes ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR point SIX degrees!!! I'm pretty sure that was my first, ever, panic attack. What's worse, I had to keep it all internal, because if Pixie saw me panic, she'd be 10x worse. I'm pumping Tylenol into her, having her drink Pedialyte, she's eating ice cream in her diaper, and I'm on the phone with the Doctor. We finally get her in, poor kid's got a severe double ear infection, & a minor sinus infection (she's one of those kids that you would never guess was ill; no extra redness, no ear fiddling, no excess wax...sigh). We get antibiotics prescribed and head home to tough it out.

Tuesday was much the same, I couldn't get her below 100 degrees to save my life, and she had a 4 hour nap...mommy took 1 hour HA. After which, I tried my hardest to convince myself that my throat did not hurt, not one little bit. We spent the afternoon stripping sheets of the beds, using up my store of Lysol wipes, and sipping hot tea.

Wednesday she had no fever aaaaallllllll day! I can't tell you how excited I was (I'd have been more excited if Hubby didn't report a sore throat, and if every inch of my body hadn't ached to the bone). So I decided Thursday, that I was going back to work (despite a sore throat and being dead tired), she was going back to school, and all was righting itself in my world. All seemed to be rolling along until about 11AM...when the school called; Pixie was back up to 102. [Insert repeated head-desk thumping here]. I had to go pick her up on my lunch hour, and take her home to Hubby (who elected not to work, as his throat was still super sore, and he had started the body aches). Thankfully, her school is run by parents, who understand that antibiotics may need some time to fully kick in, and allowed that if she had no fever Friday morning, she could still come back to school.

I took her temperature in SIX different spots Friday morning....no sign of fever. I did a happy booty dance around the nursery (much to Pixie's amusement), and shuttled her out the door (coughing in a light, airy way as I went). I am pleased to say that Pixie has been doing very well since then. She's still pretty snotty, which is contributing to a hacking cough....but it is all clearing up, and I'm so very very thankful.

That's the end of the good news (just a little blip of light there haha). Because, while my little tickle cough is improving, Hubby is most definitely not. We seemed to do pretty well this weekend, enjoying a housewarming BBQ, and our Renaissance Festival in celebration of Father's Day (Pixie gave hubby a grilling apron with handprints, and a DVD he wanted); but Sunday night into Monday Hubby's cough worsened. And last night (while helping the in-laws pack up some more items), he stated that his chest hurt to cough/breathe/laugh/sneeze..etc. etc. [This is the point where my eyeball started twitching]. 

This morning, I am sorry to say, he looked like hell, and was hurting worse. So....off to the doctor for him, off to school and work for Pixie and I respectively.
All of this has made me decide that I need more meditation, or wine, in my life....maybe both. I'm a woman on the edge!!

I know that was a lot to read, it was probably very boring....and I thank you for putting yourself through it.
I did manage to make a couple of meals in the midst of all that chaos, and though there was a lot of eating out, and severe lack of exercise, I maintained my weight. Kudos for me!!
Here's what I was able to manage (although without pictures, as I just kinda spaced it):

NOTE: These are not all Paleo friendly, as they involve potatoes...but Hubby had really been craving taters, so I indulged him.

Cheesy Cajun Fries with Cajun Guacamole, Bacon and Fried Eggs
Ingredients
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 Tbsp creole seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
4-6 oz freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 fried egg
4 slices thick-cut bacon, fried and crumbled
Guacamole

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Place cut potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with oil, Cajun season, creole seasoning and pepper. Gently toss with your hands or two spatulas to evenly coat. Spread on a baking sheet in one layer. Roast for 25-30 minutes, then flip and roast for 25-30 minutes more. This may take longer depending on how thick you cut your potatoes. You want the potatoes to be deeply golden and crispy on the outside!
While the potatoes are cooking make the guacamole.
When the fries are done cooking top the whole pan with the shredded cheddar cheese and place back in the oven for about five minutes or until the cheese is melted. Or you can divide the the fries between individual oven safe serving dishes and top with equal amounts of the shredded cheddar cheese.
Remove the cheesy fries from the oven and plate them. Top with with the guacamole, fried eggs and crumbled bacon.


Corned Beef Poutine with Guinness Gravy
Compliments of Kevin at Closet Cooking

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter or bacon grease
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons butter or bacon grease
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups Guinness or other Irish stout
2 tablespoons grainy mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 pound french fries, cooked
1 cup cheese curds, or shredded cheddar
1/2 C. corned beef, cooked and shredded/diced

Directions
Melt the better in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onions, saute until they start to caramelize, about 30 minutes, adding water or Guinness to . the pan as needed to prevent burning.
Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the butter and cook until bubbling, about 1 minute.
Add the flour and cook until it turns golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
Add the Guinness, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt and pepper, reduce the heat and simmer until it thickens, about 7-10 minutes.
Top the fries with the cheese curds, corned beef and the Guinness gravy and enjoy.

Tip: If you cannot get cheese curds then shredded cheddar, preferably an Irish white cheddar would be an amazing replacement!
Note: We followed the recipe on this one, and found the gravy a bit overwhelming. I recommend replacing some of the Guinness with a beef broth. Also, you don't need so much gravy on the fries...


Thai Chicken Wings with Peanut Sauce
Ingredients:
2 lbs. chicken drumsticks or wings
1/2 C salsa (in archive)
1/4 C Peanut Butter (I used sunflower seed butter, as a more Paleo friendly option)
3 Tbsp lime juice
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp fresh chopped ginger
1/4 C sugar
2 cloves garlic chopped
 
Directions: 
Place all ingredients in crockpot & cook on low for 5-6 hours. These will be fall off the bone tender...


That's it....3 meals in 11 days. Oh well...back on track this week!
Updated posts to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment