Paleo

Paleo

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Summer Time...and the Living's....

...well....not exactly easy. But the living is getting better (and I know you started to sing the Summer Time tune; don't try to deny it).
Pixie is almost fully recovered from her ear/sinus infection. She's still coughing a little bit, and the runny nose is still permanent; but otherwise the antibiotics seem to have taken effect, and she is a happy wild toddler once more.
Hubby, thankfully, does not have pneumonia. Full chest X-ray came back clear, so its just a bad case of bronchitis. He gets to relax at home this week, watching TV, eating whatever he wants, and enjoying his codeine laced cough syrup. 
I'm going to admit that I am jealous. No, I don't care to be sick...but holy cow I desperately want a break!! I want to wake up (at approximately 930 AM) after a solid 12 hours of sleep, and find that my house has miraculously been cleaned and organized overnight. Someone else will get Pixie dressed and to day care. I will sip fresh lemonade (made by someone else) on my front porch, while watching a team of attractive men, in jeans and tight white t-shirts, make my yard a show stopper. I will have a good workout, in whatever way I see fit. Then I will sit back, relax, and not do another damn thing for the rest of the day (at the very least. Maybe for 2 days). Relaxing means I will watch all the chick flicks I love, that Hubby will never consent to watch. I will get lost in the fantasy land of whatever book I happen to be reading. And I will not, absolutely will not, allow any discordant noises into my bubble. I will still find my house spotless at the end of this idyll, and I will be relaxed for the first time in way too long.
Ahhh....yeah....that will never happen. At least not for the next 30 years (approximately) while I have children of any age in my house. But...if I could at least get one part of my dream...please, little house gnomes, clean for me!! Haha.

Anywho....since it is Summer, Summer, Summer Time, I don't like to eat really heavy meals. For some reason they seem to clash with the bright, airy, fresh weather. I've discussed in the past, the fact that I love salads so very much, but that they can easily get boring. Boredom will kill any healthy eating habits you have...so it must be avoided at all costs. Plus, salads have to satisfy both the need to be healthy, and the desire for fulfillment (especially for Hubby who is a bottomless pit sometimes).
So here is a healthy, hearty salad, that wont weigh you down, and should make everyone happy!
Note: If you do not like Feta cheese, you can use shredded cheddar, or a mild goat cheese.
Also, put the salad together first, then serve the dressing on the side. This allows better control over how drenched the salad gets.

Avocado Chickpea Chopped Salad
Ingredients:
2 large romaine hearts, washed and chopped
1 C pulled cooked chicken breast (remember to always season your chicken!!!!!)
1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 C grape tomatoes, sliced in half
3/4 C roasted red pepper, diced
1/4 C crumbled feta cheese
1/3 C cilantro, washed and chopped
1 small avocado, diced
1/2 C BBQ ranch dressing, if desired

Directions:
In a large bowl add lettuce, top with all ingredients except for avocado and dressing. Toss salad gently.
Place into cold salad bowls. Garnish with diced avocado and drizzle with dressing if desired

Cool leftover idea #1: Mix a small portion of leftover salad with some eggs/egg whites in the morning for a tasty scramble or omelet!!








No comments:

Post a Comment