Paleo

Paleo

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mmmm...Cheese

I started a fitness bootcamp yesterday. I couldn't tell you what - in - the - hell possessed me to do so (because today I can hardly freaking move!!!)...but I did it. I thought I was gonna die halfway through, when we started our second round of the 20 stations set up. Why do we need three stations of push-ups?! And why isn't there a "just lie there" for a minute station? (Oh wait....that IS the push-up station!) 
Really though, I'm lucky enough to work in an office that is health conscious. This March they put a brand spanking new fitness center in downstairs. I have committed to using the dastardly, evil treadclimber three days a week. The other three "workout days" (cus Sundays I just sit on my toosh), I have been doing yoga, or Zumba with my good buddy Xbox. But...the fitness center downstairs offered free bootcamp and asked what days would work. So now Monday, Wednesday and Friday I visit the treadclimber. Tuesday and Thursday I will do bootcamp. Saturday is still yoga or Zumba while Pixie naps. And Sunday's will now consist more of lying on my toosh (you get the visual image with that?). Coupled with healthy meals (like last night's quinoa dinner), I am hoping to see these last 40 pounds melt off by year's end.
All I have to do, is keep telling myself that bootcamp is a smart, healthy, good decision. Really.

Anywho....What is it about cheese? Its great on crackers and sandwiches, great paired with sweet fruits, great melted, great iced, great all by its little ol self....It ranks up there with avocados in my book. And I luuurrve cheese on pasta! Most notably, of course, traditional mac n cheese. In my new much-less-pasta lifestyle, I have found many suitable pasta replacements to smother in cheese. I make a killer cauliflower "mac n cheese" with ham. Last night I figured I'd try one of my favorite new foods in a "mac n cheese" style...quinoa! And I tossed in some veggies to give it an extra health kick. And if I'm lucky...Pixie will think its awesome and eat some too! This will certainly satisfy the need for cheese, and is really quite pretty!

Cheesy Quinoa (Bonus Vegetables)
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp butter (#1)
3/4 C shredded carrots
1 C finely chopped broccoli
2 tsp minced garlic
2 C dry quinoa
4 C chicken broth (I used low sodium)
2 Tbsp butter (#2)
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 C milk (or to desired texture)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a medium pot melt butter #1 over medium heat. Add carrot, broccoli, and garlic, and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add quinoa and chicken broth, increase heat, and bring to a boil.
Cover the pot and reduce heat to medium low.
Cook 10-15 until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Stir in butter #2, cheddar cheese, and milk to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Note: The leftovers freeze well!
Also, please feel free to use whatever veggies you like! Broccoli and carrots are not a requirement. Just make sure to keep it around the 2 Cup mark, so you don't get too watered down.

I did also make dinner Saturday night (although neither Sunday or Monday, due to holiday BBQs with the family).
We've discussed the fact that Hubby is a manly man with food sometimes. One thing he really enjoys is a good burger. I ran across this recipe for Loose-Meat Sandwiches on Pinterest, and decided to give them a try. The recipe is made using the crockpot...which we all know is one of the very best inventions of all time. Plus...it is really quite healthy! Make sure to use the lean ground beef though.

Loose-Meat Sandiwches in the Crockpot
Ingredients:
1lb extra lean ground beef or turkey (the lean is important)
1 onion, finely diced
2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp truvia (one packet if you have it that way)
1 Tbsp prepared mustard (I used just yellow. You could mix is up with Dijon or Brown tho)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 C beef broth (I used low sodium)
8 hamburger buns (I used gluten free bread, toasted)
traditional hamburger fixen's (pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, mustard, etc)

Directions:
Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Crumble in the ground meat (it needs to be thawed, or it'll cook in a big clump). Add onion, sugar, spices, mustard, and vinegar. Pour in the beef broth. Mix well until everything is fully incorporated---you may want to use your hands. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours (stir occasionally during cooking). Stir well before serving by scooping with a slotted spoons onto hamburger buns. Top with your desired fixings.

Hubby had a full sandwich, I chose to eat mine open-faced. I at the leftovers without any bread at all. :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment