Paleo

Paleo

Monday, May 13, 2013

Happy, Healthy Mother's Day

A slightly belated Happy Mother's Day!! If there aren't any mothers who actually read this blog...well, happy belated weekend then...

I think I behaved myself very well this weekend, overall. Despite the temptation of various tasty, yet fattening, food opportunities, I limited my intake, and ate healthfully as often as possible.

We're finally getting the warmer weather I've been dreaming of, and cooking-wise that equals light, easy dishes. I have mentioned (just a couple times) that I love salad, but that I can't handle boring foods. So I have to come up with ways to mix things up! This weekend we got our good fat and Omega 3 fixes, plus indulged ourselves slightly with some Chinese and Indian takeout.

Friday was warmer, with a sprinkle of rain (really, like 2 drops), and I had taken some salmon out for dinner. I couldn't figure out anything as a side dish though, and so I decided a salmon salad was in order. To mix things up even more, I made the salmon fillets into salmon salad (like chicken salad), and we ate it over a bed of romaine lettuce. These weren't kiddie portions either! We had mounds of salmon over mounds of lettuce! And we must have been pretty hungry, because we scarfed it all down. It wasn't the kind of meal that settled like a brick in your stomach either. Plus, low-fat, and full of good good good vitamins!

Saturday was Pixie's first swim class, ever. She spent about half the class saying "All done! All done!" And the other half we successfully distracted her with pool toys. I still have a handprint where she death-gripped my arm though ;-)  I think after another week or two, she will be much more comfortable. I certainly hope so, as we intend to continue swim classes for at least the rest of the summer, if not through the whole year.
That evening we decided to spend some time with Hubby's brother and his wife, and ordered Chinese. I was very good and ate a cup of Egg Drop Soup, one wonton, and half a pancake of Egg Foo Yung (new Chinese place...had to try the Egg Foo Yung!!). Oh, and Pixie and I shared a very small slice of the Peaches and Cream Cake Hubby found at the store (that'll teach me to take him there hungry).

Sunday, of course, was Mother's Day; and it was 78 degrees and sunny, sunny, sunny! My mama and I decided a little picnic in the park was the way to go. I know what most people consider picnic fare is something along the lines of fried chicken and potato salad...but I'm not gonna go there. And I thought, it's Mother's Day, why not get a little fancy. So the menu consisted of: Paleo Crab and Shrimp Salad on gluten-free  nut crackers (see them here), fruit salad, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, deviled eggs (which my aunt thoughtfully contributed), and San Pellegrino sparkling water with lemon and lime slices. We elected to forgo dessert, because we had plenty to be getting on with! Pixie had a delightful time running around the park with Mom's Puggle, being chased by all the adults. The meal was delicious, refreshing, and healthy! And we all got our first minor sunburn of the season. Mine, at least, will fade to a tan by tomorrow...Hubby is too chalk white to be so lucky.

I highly recommend both of these salads for a summer meal. They're so perfect. And the asparagus was a great side dish!

As a note: please forgive my photos. I have determined that the lighting in my kitchen, combines with the color of my counter, makes everything very yellow. So sorry.
At least there's only pics of one meal. I was too occupied with other things Sunday to take pics of our picnic foods.

Salmon Salad
Ingredients:

2 C. cooked, flaked salmon (I seasoned mine with just salt and pepper and broiled it)
2 hard-boiled eggs, crushed
1 red or green bell pepper, diced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1/2 C. chopped onions
4 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt, enough to moisten
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
1/2 lemon, juiced

Directions:In a large bowl, gently toss together the salmon and crushed hard-boiled eggs. In another bowl, combine bell pepper, cucumber, onion, and yogurt. Add seasonings and stir to combine. Pour mixture over salmon, add lemon juice, and toss lightly to combine. Serve over lettuce or as a sandwich.






Paleo Crab and Shrimp Salad
Ingredients:
1 lb. crab meat, rinsed and checked for shell bits (do NOT use fake crab...gross)
1/2 lb. mini shrimp (the really small ones that they put in salads, imagine that!)
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
4 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt (have I mentioned that I like Greek Gods brand?)
2 stalks celery, finely diced
4 radishes, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
5-6 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
1/2 C. water chestnuts, chopped
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
salt and pepper

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix very thoroughly. Serve as a sandwich, with crackers, or on lettuce.


Asparagus Bundles
Ingredients
2 bunches asparagus
10-12 slices of prosciutto (they sell these in packs at the store, I needed 2 packs)

Directions:
Wash asparagus thoroughly, snap stalks and discard end pieces.
Slice prosciutto in half lengthwise. Wrap 3-4 stalks of asparagus (depending on thickness) in each half slice of prosciutto.
Turn grill on medium heat & let it warm up. Remember to clean it off and then spray with a non-stick cooking spray (I use an olive oil one).
Place asparagus bundles on grill and cook, turning once, until prosciutto is crisp, about 3 minutes each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment