Paleo

Paleo

Friday, May 17, 2013

Rewarding yourself

We all set goals in life. To own our own home, to get that corner office at work, to lose 25, 30, 100 pounds...The most important part about setting goals is rewarding yourself appropriately when you achieve them! Buy that great painting you saw, to hang on the wall of your new bedroom. Buy a new tablet to aid you while working in that corner office.
Rewarding yourself for weight loss can be a little more difficult though. Going out for a celebratory dinner and drinks sounds a little counter-productive. So what other things can you do?
I am beyond thrilled to announce that since the beginning of February (I started this blog at the end of February), I have lost 30 pounds (Hubby looked at me like I was a lunatic when I did a happy dance in the bathroom this morning)! And I am still dropping! Part of my success is the workouts I begrudgingly participate in 5-6 days a week. But a huge amount of it is my diet. Using this blog to help keep myself accountable has been an unexpectedly successful tool. I have noticed that I am not as hungry as I was before. And when presented with multiple food options, I find myself wanting the healthier items vs. the unhealthy ones. Eating right is becoming a more unconscious decision, my body is letting me know that that is what it likes.
That being said, I do feel the need to give myself a pat on the back every now and then. I set three weight loss goals, the third (and final) one being my target weight. Deciding what the reward would be for each "phase" was quite difficult! What, other than food, do I love to do/have? I enjoy reading, I love shoes, I have a small jewelry obsession, I like to go swing dancing, and I like to pamper myself.
So...for reaching goal #1, I am rewarding myself with a new pair of boots for next winter, and a new pair of flip-flops for this summer. I've been needing new boots for a couple of years, but they can be pricey, and I have a hard time finding a pair I like. But I am going all out for this monumental celebration!
When I have achieved goal #2 I will have a spa day. Manicure, pedicure, maybe a facial...just a little down time for a busy mommy.
I have not finalized my decision on my final reward as of yet. The satisfaction at that time may be enough, but a little something extra wouldn't go amiss. Maybe a little weekend away with Hubby (see if Grandma or Auntie can keep Pixie). Maybe a few new additions to my wardrobe. I don't know. I will let you know when I decide!

Since I was feeling a bit celebratory today, I decided to give myself a little food-related treat as well. This is still quite healthy, but a little more indulgent than usual. This is a meal that people counting calories will need to plan into their whole day...since it involves avocado, and a pasta alternative (Hubby was very excited to see something that even just resembled a carb, haha). This is going to taste light, and fresh, and yet is still full of flavor! The sweet potato pasta I have used was quite a compliment to this sauce.
If even the thought of "pasta" made with sweet potatoes gives you carb anxiety, use another alternative: spaghetti squash, zucchini, or asparagus.
Find this, and other amazing alternative pastas here!

Avocado Fettucini
Ingredients:
8 oz pasta (again, see this site for many pasta options, I am also fond of Tinkyada brand GF pasta, which can be found at most supermarkets any more.)
2 large, ripe avocados
1 tsp Olive oil
Juice of 1/4 lemon
½ medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup cilantro

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package, drain and reserve ½ cup pasta water.
To make the sauce heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add olive oil. When hot, add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
Add onion and garlic mix, half of cilantro, lemon juice and all but 1/4 avocados to food processor or blender.
Process until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste. Add to warm pasta, stir to combine.
Add pasta water if needed to keep sauce from drying out & clumping to the pasta. Garnish with cilantro, remaining avocado slices, and serve. I also put a few chopped walnuts on mine.






No comments:

Post a Comment