Paleo

Paleo

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

If You're a Pasta Lover

One of the hardest parts about Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, or whatever other "diets" are out there, is giving up some foods that you may dearly love. Technically it is a completely grain free, dairy free, processed food free kind of thing. We already know that I choose to keep some dairy items, because of the whole "shrivel up and die" thing.
I also really love pasta. Mac n Cheese, Lasagna, Spaghetti, Alfredo....you get the idea. Finding alternatives to pasta is at the same time easy and difficult. There are probably a thousand things that could take the place of pasta: easy. The difficult part is that they (obviously) don't always taste, feel or act like pasta. In truth, you get over it; because honestly....its not the pasta you love...its the tasty toppings and fixins. So in reality, substituting other things for the pasta, is not so challenging.
If you personally know me (and are reading this blog to be a friend, I thank you), you know that Pinterest and I are total BFFs. If you do not know me, you are now aware of my Pinterest relationship...and will become more aware of it as we go on! This was a recipe I found there, the original can be located on this blog:
http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2012/04/spring-veggie-paleo-pasta/
In tonight's recipe we're using squash as a substitute for pasta. Not huge, ungainly squash, but a more amiable pair of squash. Yellow squash and zucchini squash. And I use these a LOT! They absorb flavor really well, they don't get tough and chewy, and they are really pretty color wise. If you do not like one or the other of these squash, use just one kind! Its not a sin. For slicing the squash used in this dish, I used a mandolin, set very thin, vs. the veggie peeler. Just my preference though.
Also, technically butter is not Paleo, it is preferred you use a coconut oil (some other non-processed oils), even ghee in some cases. But, since we all make our own choices, you can use butter if you'd like! I used plain butter, and mixed my own selection of herbs in (actually I keep a container of this in my fridge regularly); garlic, parsley, oregano, cayenne, and a small smidge of mild chili powder.
I did not have cherry tomatoes on hand, and so just diced up some larger ones, I'm sure it was just as tasty, if not quite as aesthetically pleasing. Pixie did enjoy a healthy handful of tomato as well.
If you do not have a basil plant in your home, I highly recommend picking one up! Fresh basil is a necessity in my book, and it is expensive to buy in the packages at the store. The plants are easy to take care of, and keep in a pot on the window sill.
Here is another Pinterest trick while we're at it....green onions (AKA Scallions) start to rot very quickly if kept in their bunches. Buy a whole mess of them, chop them up, and put them in a freezer safe container (I use a disposable plastic water bottle). Then separate out only what you need at the time of cooking! They will still taste very fresh. :-)
Coming back around to my love of cheese: I sprinkled a little feta on top of my first bowl, and a little parmesan on top of my second (Yes, I had two helpings of a supremely healthy, low cal dish...don't judge me!)! They both tasted fantastic, and added just a little something extra to the dish.

Makes 2 large, or 4 small servings

Spring Veggie Paleo Pasta
2 organic zucchini
1 organic yellow squash
1 bunch asparagus, chopped
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 or 2 green onion, diced
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons Kerry Gold Garlic Herb Butter (or olive oil)
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Instructions
Begin by cutting off the ends of the zucchinis and washing them. Using a vegetable peeler, peel one section at a time for 4 ribbons, then rotate and continue. Continue to rotate and peel until you hit the core of seeds, then stop. Save the core to dice up in another recipe. Do this for both zucchinis and the yellow squash, you should be lefts with a large bowl of ribbon pastas, depending on the size of your squashes. 

In a pan over medium- low heat add 1 tablespoon butter and allow to melt. Dump in your ribbons (you may need to do this in batches depending on how many ribbons you have and the size of your pan. Just don’t over crowd it). Stir constantly with a spoon and allow the ribbons to cook through and wilt a little. Since they are so thin it should only take 1-2 minutes, you don’t want them overcooked.

In a separate skillet, heat over medium heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter (or olive oil) and add tomatoes and asparagus until cooked and tender.  Add diced green onion and basil in the last 30 seconds of cooking veggies and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Place squash ribbon “pasta” in a bowl and top with veggie mixture sprinkle additional basil and green onion and serve. Add cheese on top, if using.



1 comment: