Paleo

Paleo

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

How Literature Can Influence Your Food

Ok...yesterday we had the "I can't flip eggs" confession. Today's confession is something I have absolutely no trouble admitting....I am a book nerd. I read excessively. Probably really more than I ought to. I like to think that reading keeps me well educated, even though I am no longer a student anywhere. And, sometimes it is nice to escape my world for Harry Potter's, or Eddard Stark's.
One of my very favorite series of books is Brian Jacques' Redwall series. They are some of the books I remember most from childhood, because my parents would read to us before bed every night. And I am working my way, as an adult, to owning every book in the series (and Mr. Jacques is still putting new ones out). I love to read about these mice, and moles, and squirrels, and badgers living their little lives together, much as people would. And at Redwall Abby, the most amazing thing is the food!! Trifles, and ales, and fizzes, and soups, stews, and casseroles! They (obviously) dont involve meat, and most are very Paleo friendly! Every time I read one of these books, all I can think is "I wish someone would make a cookbook with all these amazing sounding recipes!" Well, my friends, someone has! Brian Jacques has granted my wish and written The Redwall Cookbook.
So...as you may have guessed by now, tonight's recipe is straight out of one of my favorite stories!
Ambrose Spike, Redwall's Cellar Keeper, rolled a barrel of his famous October Ale into the kitchens. The sturdy old hedgehog mopped his brow with a spotted kerchief.
"There ye are, Friar--October Ale brewed by me own paw last autumn season. I 'opes yore makin' some Crispy Cheese'n'Onion Hogbake. I likes a chunk when it goes cold. 'Tis very tasty for lunch when I'm busy in my cellar. Now then, young Pansy, I 'ope yore peelin' those veggibles proper. Always peel away from yoreself, an' keep the other paw behind the knife. That's the way! Friar, can I stay an' watch you makin' the Hogbake?"
Hugo patted the Cellarhog's spikes carefully. "Of course you can, Ambrose. Then you can learn how to make it for yourself. It's quite simple really."


Crispy Cheese'N'Onion Hogbake
Ingredients:
2 medium onions, chopped
2 C. grated cheddar cheese
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 C. milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 C. Cornflakes, crushed
4 medium tomatoes, sliced

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
Place the onions in the bottom of a large casserole dish (mine was 9x13). Sprinkle cheese over the onions; pour in the beaten eggs and milk, and season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the cornflakes over all and arrange the slices of tomato to cover.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving, but serve still hot.


Ok...so I know that cornflakes aren't Paleo friendly, I am sorry. I really could not find anything that pleased me as an alternative. And honestly, I figure items like that, in such small amounts, on such rare occasions, are not extremely terrible. Plus...that's what makes it crunchy!
This was one of the simplest dishes I have ever put together, but it would have been simpler if I had had large tomatoes vs. cherry tomatoes...bad planning on my part, but it still worked out.
Hubby had his doubts about this dish; he dubiously eyed the recipe; he dubiously eyed the finished product...But in the end he declared "This is great! Much better than I expected." Aw, thanks baby (he obviously has so much faith in me after 8 years). I'm thinking I might sneak some of the leftovers in with Pixie's breakfast tomorrow; if I'm lucky she'll eat a couple bites, along with her usual full orchard of fruit (seriously....the kid eats more fruit than the stores can keep stocked).
I hope that if you decide to try this recipe, you think of the small, animal inhabited Abbey that inspired it, and have fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment